ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School Collection
This collection contains photographs, programmes, magazines, and other publications relating to ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School.
Overview
This collection comprises photographs, programmes, magazines, and books relating to ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School, including class photographs, prospectuses, and issues of the ºÚÁϳԹÏÍøian school magazine, as well as one complete digitised book, ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School: A History. The material was donated to the ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø by the Old ºÚÁϳԹÏÍøians’ Association in 2008. The broader ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School Records include report books, student admission registers, staff registers, visitors’ books, trip photographs, Headmaster’s reports, prospectuses, programmes, and historical notes, documenting the school’s administrative and social history between 1903 and 1989.
Key Facts
School name(s)
- ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Municipal Secondary School for Boys (1904–1932)
- ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School (1932–1969)
- ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar Technical School (1969–1973)
Founded
1904
Locations
- ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Royal Technical Institute (RTI)
- Leaf Square
- Eccles Old Road (Claremont site)
Successor school
Buile Hill High School
Collection donor
Old ºÚÁϳԹÏÍøians’ Association (2008)
Notable item
ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School: A History (digitised).
Timeline
1904 – Opened as ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Municipal Secondary School for Boys at the ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Royal Technical Institute (RTI).
1909 – Decision made to separate administratively from the RTI.
1914 – Purpose-built school opened at Leaf Square.
1914–1920 – Leaf Square building requisitioned for use as a military hospital during the First World War.
1932 – Renamed ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School.
1937 – ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Education Committee acquired the Claremont site.
1953 – Construction of new school at Claremont began.
12 January 1956 – Pupils moved to new building on Eccles Old Road.
21 March 1956 – New school officially opened.
1964 – Demolition of Leaf Square building began.
1965 – ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø College of Technology opened on the former Leaf Square site.
1 September 1969 – Merged with ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Technical High School to form ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar Technical School.
1973 – Merged with Pendleton High School for Girls to form Buile Hill High School, now called Buile Hill High School.
How can it be used?
To support research into the history of education in ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø, particularly secondary schooling prior to the introduction of comprehensive education in the 1970s.
Who might be interested?
Former pupils and alumni of ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø Grammar School, family historians, and researchers exploring the history of schools and education in the ºÚÁϳԹÏÍø area.
Types of material
Photographs, programmes, prospectuses, magazines, and books.
Related material
- University Photographic Collection
- RTI Collection